Why replace your water filter
Have you ever wondered why the indicator light on your LG refrigerator is flashing? The short answer is that it’s very likely been 6-months since you picked up an LG replacement filter from Statewide Appliance Spares. Most modern filtration systems use carbon, charcoal or a blend of filter components to trap impurities such as iron, particles, chlorine, microorganisms and human-generated chemicals and keep them out of your drinking water. But after 6-months they accumulate too much debris as the impurities caught by the filter build up. When this happens, the filters need to be changed so the water you get from your LG fridge is pure and tastes as refreshing as ever
Learn more about how an LG replacement filter keeps your water safe to drink.
How to change your LG water filter
Changing your LG fridge water filter every 6-months is easy.
- Start by turning off the water valve that connects to the refrigerator water line.
- Dispense any remaining water left in the water line. You may want to lay a dry towel on the floor in case there is any more water.
- Open the left side of the refrigerator door and remove the bottom door bin by grabbing each end and lifting up and out.
- Swing the old filter out slightly, holding it from the bottom and turning counter clockwise until it releases.
- Note: If you haven’t already ordered your replacement, you can check the model number near the top of the old filter.
- Remove your new filter from its packaging and take off the cap cover.
- Place the new water filter in the water filter mount and turn the filter clockwise until it is fully locked in place.
- Swing the new filter back into the filter housing and slide your door bin back into place then push down on your door bin until it is fully seated on the mount supports.
- Once the new filter has been installed turn the water valve to on.
- Purge and prime to the new water filter. Dispense about 9 ½ litres of water in 30 second intervals.
- Reset the water filter indicator light by holding down the button next to it for about 3 seconds.
For more detailed instructions, please consult your refrigerator owner’s manual.
Why choose genuine LG filters
We strongly recommend using genuine LG replacement water filters in LG fridges. Only LG’s genuine replacement parts can guarantee compatibility with your fridge. Generic replacement water filters from other manufacturers may not work as well as the genuine parts, may not work in your fridge at all, risk damaging the fridge and may affect your warranty. Choosing genuine filters over generic “after-market” (or non-genuine) copies provides a wide range of benefits covering quality of construction, capabilities, efficiency and value.
Only genuine LG fridge water filters:
- Are purpose-built for LG fridges to the highest standards.
- Are extensively tested and can guarantee compatibility with LG fridges.
- Are made with A-grade raw materials.
- Are internationally certified to meet standards for chlorine, taste and odor reduction.
- Covered by 6 month warranty and backed by a reliable, reputable manufacturer.
- Have high levels of filter efficiencies, while generics are made to variable – and usually lower – standards.
- Have high levels of filter capabilities, while generics are made to variable – and usually lower – standards.
- Are better value over all. While generic filters may often cost less individually, their poorer performance and risks can ultimately result in much greater costs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do unused filters expire?
No. Unused filters have an unlimited shelf life as long as they are kept dry.
How often should I replace my water filter?
LG refrigerator water filters should be replaced every six months or sooner, depending on how often you use the water from your refrigerator to reduce the risk of water leakage or flooding.
(Some models have a filter change alert light to indicate when a filter change is needed.)
Can I use other brands’ filters in my LG refrigerator?
Counterfeit, deceptively labeled and third-party water filters are not guaranteed to properly filter water in your LG refrigerator and may cause damage not covered under the manufacturer’s warranty. Always use genuine LG refrigerator water filters.
I just changed my fridge water filter and the water tastes strange. Why?
Since refrigerator water filters are made of carbon, some residue may initially be present and cause an odd, bitter taste. We recommend allowing the water dispenser to run and discarding the first three litres or so of water.
How do I change my water filter?
Depending on your LG refrigerator model, the water filter will be installed in either the inside, lower bottom, or on the back. Replacing the filter is easy, taking only minutes and without requiring any tools. Consult your refrigerator owner’s manual for instructions.